Friday, July 30, 2010

Rollercoaster Life























Relaxing day in Monmouth, OR

It has been an emotional couple of weeks around here. Last week my youngest sister was in hospital, and I spent two nights by her bedside so my Mom could get some sleep. My Great Aunt Betty passed away while I was staying with my sister. Those lows were followed by a relaxing and fun weekend trip with Lorri and Steve to the Willamette Valley for some wine tasting. Monday brought a diagnosis of breast cancer for my sister. Emotional ups and downs followed as the news spread through my family, and we begin the wait for the next appointment and more information. It's been a low week, brightened by the caring of family and friends. And then, today, a high point - acceptance into the Doctorate of Education program at Northeastern University! Tomorrow the family will gather to say goodbye to Aunt Betty, and Tuesday the women will gather again to celebrate the upcoming marriage of one of our young women. Down, up, down, up, down and up again. Life is full these days, full of sorrows and joys, full of family and friends.



Lorri and I being silly, midway through our wine tasting tour.

Finally, some Western States pictures:


4:00 am, pacer Steve, racer Eric, crew Michelle (photo by Margaret, camera crew) heading over to the start line.


Eric at WS100 start


Margaret and I, crew extraordinaire!

11 comments:

LesleyG said...

My goodness. My thoughts will be with you and your family, for both the joys and the sorrows. I admire your strength and attitude, as always.

Anne said...

So much going on...I'm sorry to hear about the sad news...but, excited for you and your return to school. Thank goodness, the downs are sprinkled with ups!

Olga said...

That's sure is life, Michelle...and we have to zig and zag through it, with it, and in it.

Sarah said...

Congrats on your acceptance to the doctoral program! Celebrate the high points and your positive attitude will get you through the low ones.

Joe said...

Rollercoaster, indeed.

The big thing is that you are there for your sister and your extended family.

All part of life...do persevere!

Wes said...

my thoughts are with your family... at the highest peaks and lowest valleys!

Scott McMurtrey said...

It was good to see Eric at the White River start. I was sad to hear that he wouldn't be running though. Sorry to hear about the lows...but a super congrats on the acceptance!

Emily said...

I love the picture of you by the lamp post. Thanks for posting some of WS.
Miss you guys!

Lesley Looper said...

Wow, there's a news-filled post! It reminds me of all the turns life can take all at once! Sounds like you and your family are a great support system for one another!

Anne said...

You aren't kidding about the ups and downs in such a short spell. I hope they caught your sister's cancer early enough so she fully recovers and goes on to live a long, long life. All those Race for the Cure 5ks are starting to pay off for those with breast cancer!

And hooray on your acceptance into a Ph.D. program. Is it the same Northeastern University in Boston? I used to go by it daily when I was at BU.

Running Diva Mom said...

Good luck with everything. Just found your blog and looking forward to following your incredible journey!