Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Rebellious Mind Can Lead to Tired Feet

The first time the thought trickled into my mind was at the Autumn Leaves 50K. Rob and Steve had three laps to go when Jenny and I finished and the idea that I might be able to run three more laps wouldn't leave me. How could I think that? Exhausted, aching, worn out body, rebellious mind. I put it off to running induced delirium and banished it from my mind. My rebellious mind.

As soon as Eric and I were alone, I mentioned it. The conversation went something like this:
Me: 18 more miles. That's a long way.
Eric: Yep.
Me: I could probably do it, but I never will, because I'm too slow and will never make the cut-offs.
Eric: You need to run one of the 24 hour races. You could do it.
Me: A 24 hour race?
Eric: No cut-offs.
Me (whiny now): 50K to 50 miles is too big of a jump! Why don't they have some intermediate distance so I can work up to it? Like 40 miles.
Eric: You need to run one of the 24 hour races.

The rebellious mind rolled it around. I mentioned it to Steve. He told me how I could do it. I mentioned it to Rob. He told me how I could do it.

I've been rolling it around in my rebellious mind ever since. I've talked about it with several of my buddies. You know what's coming, right? I'm doing it.

There's a 24 hour run in March. One mile loops. Rob and Steve are running it. Eric is running Chuckanut 50K that day, and but is willing to come down to support us afterward. The only cut-off is 24 hours - I can run 50K, or 40 miles or 50 miles or more or less.

I figure if I'm going to do it, then I might as well shoot for the stars. Some of you predicted it, and now I offer more proof that I should never say never. I'm going to run 50 miles in March.

28 comments:

Sarah said...

Woohoo! Once it crosses the mind its only a matter of time. You can do it! I'm thinking of that one too so maybe I'll see your there.

Donald said...

Yahoo! Good for you, Michelle. You're actually going to beat me to it this year - I won't run a 50 until April.

Anonymous said...

That's great news. It's great to have friends who tell you how it can be done instead of why it can't, isn't it?

Joe said...

Wow, what a story this will be!!! OK, Michelle, go for it!! Loopity loop, you will have a new target to shoot for!

Thomas said...

Just promise us that you will be careful, and that you will stop as soon as you can feel trouble!

JustRun said...

You bet you can!

Journey to a Centum said...

Heck, if you finish the 50 miles with time to spare 100K is only 16.2 more laps!

How? One foot in front of the other, repeat as required.

Good luck Honey!

Olga said...

I think 100k is a great idea. And totally do-able. May be more. You don't even have to run half of the time! Powerwalk and fuel, baby!

Jenny, Maniac #401 said...

Okay, you know this is my goal for this year too. You know I have also told you I might do this race too. I like the no cut off factor but the 24 hours. We'll see how the body feels I guess.
Jenny

Steve Walters said...

Michelle,

It's great to hear that you want to keep pushing to the next level. I also plan on doing Pacific Rim. Hope to see you there.

Steve (Maniac #338)

shawn said...

Michelle, what a great post. I got tingles thinking of the excitement you are feeling! Yay for you! Well, 50 miles or 100k - you will do great. This will be a great course to do it on too. Always food, bathrooms and plenty of company.

P.S. I like the last line of your post. I imagine it would be spoken with the same tone of someone saying "I'm going to Disneyland!"

Unknown said...

Isn't it funny how we are already talking about 100k? YOU CAN DO IT! Whatever you set your mind to that is.

Darrell said...

Mmmmm, very interesting.

Onward to the next frontier. This seems like the perfect way to break the 50K barrier. Go for it and have fun.

Meghan said...

OH. MY. GOD. Michelle, this is so cool!

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Michelle, there are some things that I'll use you for a role model...leading into Marathon Maniac-land, but a 24 hour run, I think I'll have to take a different path here. My racing friends would put me in a straight jacket and tie me to a tree if they even thought I was going to try that. No one suspects yet that I might be trying for 6 M's in six months, or 8-11 out of 12 months...they will start bringing me marbles to replace what they think I"ve lost.....good luck..will be interesting to track your training...

Irene said...

You are the woman! 24 hour race??? Go for it with gusto!

Wes said...

Once more into the breach! You are one hell of a leader :-)

peter said...

Cool! Never say never alright. You're truly motivational.

Mama said...

Gosh, they don't even let the 50 miles settle before they start egging you on to do more.

You put that mind to it and you can do anything.

Be Free,
Lorri

King Arthur said...

I Know you can do it! Just stay awake and keep moving. Or if you really need it, there are many places on the loop you can sleep-walk for 100 yards or so.
;-)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes our bodies have a mind of their own, huh? ;) Over half the running battle is mental anyway, so I'd say you are definitely going to be successful. Good luck - you are amazing! The countdown begins. . . .

Legs and Wings said...

You'll do just fine...24 hours on your feet sounds cool. Go rebel!

Scott McMurtrey said...

YAHOOOOOOO!

you'll smash (SMASH!) 50 in a 24-hour race.

Adelyn said...

yay...how exciting :) 24 races are definitely the way to go. I'd love to try one myself sometime! The flexability is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

you can totally do it. one-mile loops give you great flexibility to listen to your body and stop when you need/want to. yay michelle!!!!

wendy said...

You need to start taking Abi's advice. She says, "it's highly unlikely I will..." because she fears the word "never" will get her suckered into things. ;-)

I think it's great you've got a big goal - remember when marathons were a dream, then a goal, then a reality, now kind of a has-been??? =)

Did I read correctly that you're wearing a bikini for the 24 hour run?

Sunshine said...

"Good luck Honey".... what a sweet comment. With that kind of support, you will fly!!

Anne said...

Love the name of the post -- so true! I think you'll enjoy a 24-hour race. They're a different creature and much kinder to those keen on endurance and not speed. Very different mental strategy and support's typically better because of the endless loops. I'm very excited for you, Michelle!