Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Response...


It's kind of hard to think about what to write in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombings.  Feels kind of silly to write about little details of life. I think, in the end, that's exactly what we have to do.  We have to keep moving forward, we have to keep living our lives.  We can't let them scare us or intimidate us into shutting down. I went out for a run yesterday and today, and all I could think about was the bombing. I remembered our two years at the race, I remembered running down Boyleston at 5:30 am during my summer residency, I remembered the wonderful, welcoming, solid people of Boston.  We can't let it stop us. We need to live life with joy, we need to be aware of each moment, recognize opportunities to be happy, choose our responses with care.  We need to live life as it comes at us.

My family dealt with a tragedy a few months ago that was splashed all over the news.  It wasn't easy, turning on the TV and seeing our loved one's face unexpectedly,  on every news feed, opening facebook to see pictures everywhere.  I feel anguish for the families in Boston, for what they are going through.  It is simply unbelievable, and it's being played out on a national stage, and they will see it again and again.  It's not easy. It's horrific. I think about them constantly. 

And I remind myself, live!  Notice! Pay attention! Choose happiness! Let anger go. Let it go.  Pay attention to my husband's smile, the sweet sound of the voices of our sons, laugh with my friends, share their sorrows and their joys. Live! Choose life and happiness! I remind myself to look for the good.

So that is what I am doing. It doesn't negate the sadness I feel, it doesn't stop the thoughts from swirling through my head, but it does help me find a balance.  I hope that in choosing to live with intention, I am honoring those whose lives were lost or forever changed.  Life is seldom smooth, instead it is filled with low valleys and high mountains.  It is often said that without the lows, we wouldn't know how sweet the highs are.  But if there is one thing I've learned in running trails, it's that we can find beauty wherever we are, whether we are low or high, if we just look.  Marathon Monday ended in a low, but there was immediate beauty in the heroism, the acts of caring and kindness, that lifted my heart even when I didn't think it could be lifted.  I will look for that beauty every day. I will. I will live with intention.  I will treasure love and laughter, smiles, tears, I will treasure the moments. Life will march forward and I will go with it.
 
 

3 comments:

Wes said...

bravo.

Lesley said...

So well said, Michelle.

Anonymous said...

Nice post!