Friday, March 30, 2012

Bringing those Numbers Up

It's been a year since I ran a marathon. I'm looking forward to it, but don't know quite what to expect, given my lack of training. I've been running half marathons and 25Ks since October, but that's it. I've maintained a weekly mileage of 25 miles - low compared to the 30-50 miles of a year ago. Darn that doctoral program! I had to pull back to my regular weekly runs in order to keep up with my studies. I start my final class in a week, then a year of dissertation work - so I figure I've got some flexibility back in my schedule and can start trying to sneak more races in.

I've had some bad marathons - running with an infection, heart and heat issues - yet I made it through, so I know I can push through this one, too. That's one thing about a marathon or ultra - it will teach a runner how to persevere, how to move relentlessly forward despite hardships. I'll remind myself of that tomorrow, say, about mile 18ish?

It will be my 52nd marathon, 66th marathon and ultra combined - after five years of steady increases, followed by a year of zero movement, I'm happy to see my count rising again. I feel like it's my first marathon all over again - excited, anxious, but ready to go. Mostly though, I'm giddy at the thought of having a weekend to play with no looming pressure of missed studies. And to see all the old friends I have missed these past months. And to go out and run! Here's to happy running - I'll see you after the race!

1 comment:

lizzie lee said...

Have a fantastic run. As Dean Karnazes said: Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must, but just keep moving forward.