Thursday, February 24, 2011

Reading List (and a race)

Anyone who has run with me lately (or just talked to me) has been hearing all about the great books I'm reading in my Ethical Leadership class this quarter. I'm sharing the list here for anyone who is interested.

Why School? Reclaiming Education for All of Us by Mike Rose

  • I love this book - found it inspiring and insightful, and will read it again. (This was a book I selected off a required list)

Ethical Leadership by Robert Starratt

  • I love this one too, and I am sure I will be referring to it again and again. The middle chapters get kind of dense, but it is a must read for anyone in education. It reminds us of our common goal, and ties ethics to the pursuit of that goal. Love it! I made immediate connections to life in the classroom with both children and adults. (This one is required)

Leading Minds: An Anatomy of Leadership by Howard Gardner

  • Okay, if you've read Gardner before, I know what you are thinking. But it's not that bad - it's quite interesting, and very easy to read. I'm only three chapters in, but so far it's a breakdown of characteristics of leadership, and I'm about to enter the good part - case studies of several leaders. I'm liking it so far. Gives me much to think about... (Another personal selection from a required list).

I also bought Happiness and Education by Nell Noddings with the intent to read it over one of my breaks (crazy, huh?)

Additionally, because I apparently can't get enough, I've been listening to books on my commute. Since January, I've listened to Switch, followed by Brain Rules for Babies (both great) and am currently listening to A Chance to Make History by the founder of Teach for America. It is not a history of Teach for America, but is about transformational leadership in Education, which fits right in with my other class this quarter: Transforming Educational Systems, which, by the way, also has two books that I'm reading.

It certainly is a good thing that whenever I'm asked about my interests and hobbies, right next to the first one, which is running, I list reading!

A quick note: ran the Woolley Marathon last weekend. A nice, flat course on gravel, with a stream crossing (twice) and a great medal. As far as my own run? Not my best marathon. In fact I've run a 50K faster than I ran (walked?) this one. I had a scratchy throat, a cranky hip and my heart acted up. Doesn't matter, I got it done - with Margaret's help - and all is good. I'm still looking at future races, though Eric is encouraging me to drop to the half distance for a while. We'll see...

4 comments:

Thomas said...

I still remember the days when you were pondering if you should ever do a marathon.

Now you mention your latest one in one sentence in passing.

You're amazing!

Emily said...

Those books do sound interesting. I wish we could go for a run and you talk about the books.

Miss you guys!

Joe said...

I thought "Switch" was one of the better books I've read in the past couple of years. Glad you enjoyed it.

With Thomas, i marvel at your "throw away" line about "running a marathon"!! Glad you got through it but the heart thing give me pause. Eric's counsel may be wise to ponder.

Darrell said...

Keep on learning!