Sunday, November 01, 2009

Halloween Marathon 2009


I ran one lap in this outfit, then I gladly stuffed it back in my bag!

We had a great run up in Bellingham yesterday. It was pretty stormy the night before, with high winds and buckets of rain, and the forecast was for showers. Instead, we got a beautiful, sunny fall day - slightly breezy, but sunny and dry. This marathon was the same course as last summer's Wild Thing (the one where we wore dresses and performed a task at the end of each loop. This time there were no tasks, but there were costumes). It's ten 2.6 mile loops around Lake Padden, mostly on a wide gravel trail with lots of rolling hills. I decided to experiment a little, since it was a looped course. I normally do a 4/1 run/walk at marathons. I decided to see how far I could go on my typical training pace of 9/1 run/walk. I figured it was no big deal if I burned out and had to walk, and a low-key, fun marathon was the place to give it a try.

I ran seven loops (18.2 miles) using the 9/1 pacing. By that time I was starting to get tired so I switched over to 4/1. The first 5.5 loops I ran alone, then Eric joined me for the back half of my sixth loop. Just as I was heading out of the aid station, I saw Abi coming in - she'd arrived at the marathon late and had been trying to catch up with me. I was pretty far ahead of her in terms of loops because I started an hour and 15 minutes early and she started a half hour late. She planned to run with me for my remaining loops, then finish up on her own. On our first loop together I noticed the pop machine by one of the restrooms and commented that I'd love to have a coke right then. Next time through the aid station, Abi came running out with a fistful of dollars, so we picked up a Pepsi from the machine - absolute heaven on earth. I swear, it was the best thing I ever had in my life! The sugary Pepsi revived me and gave me new energy for my last loops. I finished in 5:48 - not bad for a hilly trail type course with lots of stops at the aid station.

After the marathon, we headed to my parents for a home cooked meal and to spend the night. Eric cooked us all breakfast this morning, then while he watched half a football game with my Dad, my Mom and I laid plans for Thanksgiving and caught up on our assorted and large family. We had an easy drive home, capping off a wonderful weekend.


Eric as a "man on the run" and me after one lap in costume.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Great costume! Sounds like you had a nice run. We've sure been enjoy some great fall weather here in the PNW, haven't we?

Anne said...

Was it the grass skirt or the coconuts that caused you to abort the outfit early?! You and Eric look so cute!

Darrell said...

The fun never ends up there. You two looked great.

Joe said...

What fun! Certainly the day was better with sunshine than a driving rain...glad the weather worked out!!

Legs and Wings said...

Awesome fun. Crazy woman!!

iJuls said...

Love the costumes.

Sunshine said...

Now I wonder what Eric cooked for breakfast.. and will he ever be adding ice cream?
(Actually, I can eat it on nearly anything... well.. maybe not on asparagas?)

lizzie lee said...

Eric looks so NICE.... Michelle only four to go!!!