Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Years Eve & New Years Day Double

We drove up to Bellingham with Margaret and Jenny on Tuesday and stayed with my parents. Had a lovely dinner with all six of us, and a nice visit with Mom and Dad. Got up and faced a tough run at Last Chance. The first one or two miles were snowy and slushy, slippin' and slidin' everywhere, then it settled down to a beautiful, soft trail. We did a double out and back, resulting in messing with the snow four times in all - somewhere between four and eight miles of it. We didn't wear traction, because we knew there were clear trails ahead. Though I remembered the steep climb on one of the crossing roads, I'd forgotten about the little ravine we had to go through. The weather was perfect - right around 40 and dry. The night before we had howling winds and pounding rain, so we felt very lucky. Once again, dealing with snow extended everyone's times. Margaret and I made it in 6:16.

After the race, we slipped into dry, warm clothes, hit the Starbucks and drove to Seattle. We all stayed at Margaret's Green Lake condo which was wonderful. A nice evening of hanging out with friends, and an early New Year's Eve. We were in bed by 11:00, preparing to face today's race. This was the first double for both Jenny and Margaret. We figured we neede some extra time, so we took the early start this morning. Margaret and I started, with many others, in near dark. In fact, there was a rooster perched in a tree beside the trail, crowing as we ran by. The RD warned us we had a mile of snowy slush to deal with, then occasional patches. Once again it was slick and slow going. Also, due to construction, we ended up with another double out-and-back. It's fun that way because you see lots of runners, but sometimes that second out-and-back can be mentally challenging. We had Rick with us for the first 13, then we got a mile or so of Jenny and Rob during the second. Our final time was 6:42. Oh, we also got to see two bald eagles perched in a tree above the trail!

I have to admit, I was really tired during the last six miles. I couldn't figure out why everything felt so good during the triple a few weeks ago and not today, till Margaret pointed out that was exactly why - the triple was 4.5 weeks ago, and my last marathon was 11 days ago. I guess that could make a girl tired. Maybe I'll get some pictures up in the next few days. In the meantime, Eric and I are hosting a birthday party tomorrow night. I've got work to do! And, for the record, I'll be 51. I guess running a double the couple days before ain't too shabby for an old girl!

16 comments:

Jenn said...

Happy Birthday!!! Thanks for being such an amazing role model. I have a few goals (thanks to you) when I get some free time (yeah, right!) HUGS!

Unknown said...

Jenny and I were a bit tired the last 6 as well. I think it was a nice way to ring out the old year and in with the new. We should do it again sometime. Have a Happy Birthday tomorrow just in case I don't make it off the mountain.

Journey to a Centum said...

Good work out there this week! Those out and backs are tough enough but two back to back marathons with out and backs are tough! It's good that you had great friends to run with.

Irene said...

Old girl? Far from it! Arent' the 50's the new 30's?

Happy birthday, you young thing!

Wes said...

Happy Birthday! Your running is nothing short of amazing :-)

Anonymous said...

Not too shabby? I'll say! Happy New Year, Happy Birthday, and thanks for giving me some motivation, even if that's not your intent. :)

Sunshine said...

You are amazing ... for 51.. or any age!!
Running marathons seems like quite a party for a birthday!

Anne said...

I thought of you all as I kept hearing about the foul weather reports in the Northeast and even recognized some of the area names going across the TV screen from places you've mentioned on your blog.

Enjoy that birthday cake, Michelle. You certainly deserve an extra big helping.

Joe said...

You know I'm sitting out here on the prarie hearing the news of bigger storms and thinking about the trails you are on...not to mention the Quadzilla two other guys are trying!!

Congrats for making it. 6+ hours in the slush for two days is no small task. How are the blsters???

Jenny, Maniac #401 said...

Yeah I was pooped too those last 6 miles. What a fun few days! Have a great party tonight!
Jenny

Darrell said...

Happy Birthday, Michelle, you crazy running machine.

Jack said...

Happy Birthday Michelle, I hope you're not old, 'cause I'm just a year behind you ;-) Running reverses the clock any way!

Leslie said...

Running does in fact, reverse the clock. Happy New Year and Happy Birthday, lovely lady!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! A double in a bit of snow - that'll make you tired for sure. I'm impressed with all you're doing.
Happy birthday! :)

wendy said...

doesn't it just keep getting better? Or maybe your smiles just keep getting bigger? Or maybe it's just your face getting skinnier that make your smile look bigger??

Congrats on HUGE accomplishments in '08. XOXO

lizzie lee said...

So you didn't do the 4 in 4? Don't think that I would be disappointed if you didn't!!!!!!!!

There is nothing that can take away my admiration for your running and dedication!!!!