Friday, July 20, 2007

The Epic Adventure Begins - Update

I just got home from dropping Eric and Rob off at Tiger Mountain. We took a side trip to one of the low points of the trek, where the guys ran up the trail and stashed food and water, then we met up with Arthur just below the access to the trail head. Arthur and his dog got in our car and I drove them the half mile up the road, then watched as they disappeared into the woods. I'll see them again about 20 hours from now, at Rob's house. I'm going up there tomorrow to stay with his four kids while his wife gets off to work. I couldn't see Rob missing his chance at an epic adventure because of a few hours of overlap between the run and her work, so I offered to watch the kids. It should be fun!

It was a long, dark and rainy drive home from Tiger - just about an hour exactly. We've had on again/off again rain for the last few days - that is, till today when it rained steadily all day. It was sprinkling when I dropped the guys off and the forecast is for rain through the night and into tomorrow. It certainly adds an element to the adventure - wet foliage, muddy trails and drippy skies.

I got to visit my friend today - one of the women in the accident two weeks ago. She was transferred back to our hometown hospital this week, and amazingly, was going home today. She is doing much better than expected - she has a halo device on to stabilize her head, she has had back surgery and a rod inserted into her arm and has some kind of traction device hooked up to her hand, plus bruises and cuts, but she is walking around, sitting in regular chairs, and best of all, ready to go home. Our other friend will be here in about three weeks - they will be transferred here for rehabilitation for her head injuries. She is now able to travel, so the services for her girls are being held in Montana tomorrow . Everyone is holding up pretty well - the love and support surrounding them is a huge piece of their recovery. I'll be thinking of them all tomorrow.

I've made an effort to get back to my typical running schedule this week. It's been six weeks since my last marathon - my leg is mostly healed and I'm ready to start the mileage build up. I'm trying to do it sorta slow - I think we did four on the beach on Sunday, I ran six with Rick Tuesday, six with Jenny and Emily Wednesday, five with Barb Thursday morning and four with Wendy, Jenny and Mark on Thursday night for a total of 25 miles. I plan to run five tomorrow morning bringing me to 30 for the week. Next week I'm going to bump one of those weekday runs up to eight miles, then the week after start bumping up one of the weekend runs.

Signing off from the rainy side of the state, where the skies are dark, the trails are muddy and the men are running through the night.

Update: They are home safe and sound. I heard from them several times starting at 7:15 this morning, and through the day. It was tough and took a little longer than expected. I imagine they'll get posts up in the next day or two.

11 comments:

wendy said...

hey! the boys are gone, so I get to post first! =)

I'm so glad to hear your friend is doing better than we imagined. The human body and soul....so resilient....

Both the calf and toes are doing well? Fantastic! I still haven't decided on tomorrow, sunday or both, so I'm letting the alarm decide in the morning. Have a good night, I hope you get some sleep even though eric's out and about!

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Wishing the guys well...and still praying for your friends...I"m glad they are doing better.

It's great that your leg is better and that you have gotten in 25 miles already this week...after our 12+ miles today I too should have 30 in this week....I got 36 something in week before last too.

Good luck...keep us posted on how the guys are doing.

Scott McMurtrey said...

You are so awesome. Just wonderful. I keep saying this but I'll say it again - you all have an awesome group of runners over there. We're all lucky your sharing the experience with us. And thanks for the kind words about Sadie.

I'm happy that your friend is able to go home.

And glad to see your leg is feeling better.

Joe said...

So much to say, Michelle.

I'm grateful your friend is home. Amazing...I'm sure your visit lifted her spirits. Continued hope for the grief process and healing process for the other woman. You being there will mean a lot.

I've thought a lot about Eric and Rob and the others, last night and all day today. Hope they are safe and enjoying the Epic Adventure.

Keep on, Michelle...

Sarah said...

The boys should be back by now. I hope they had a fun and safe adventure. Enjoy you mileage build-up!

shawn said...

I'm glad you're friend is back home. The hospital isn't much fun.
The boys did so well. ...Despite my best efforts to get them lost on the second half :) I'm so amazed by both Eric and Rob. It was very generous of you to watch the kids so Rob could do this too...no getting out of it for him. Can't wait to see their posts. Hope the whining is minimal at your house today :)

Joe said...

Michelle, thanks for the update, I've been thinink a lot about them. Wow, what a trip!! Hope Eric sleeps well today!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your help in the Epic adventure and making sure that I could be a part of it. It seems a bit trivial compared to what your friends are going through, but I think we must all continue to live and do the things that bring joy to our life despite all the bad things that happen along the way.

runliarun said...

It never ceases to amaze me how persistent life is - always spurning us to go on, for better or for worse, in small or seminal ways, through light and through dark.

JustRun said...

I'm with Lia- I'm just amazed sometimes how life just moves forward anyway. It's all an epic adventure, isn't it?

Darrell said...

Simply amazing, all around. We talk a lot about running around here, getting all excited for one another, cheering and holding another accoutable; all good stuff. And yet, as Rob points out, it is small potatos compared to the other stuff going on around us. It is always nice to hear some good news in a world that seems to overflow with the tragic all to often.