Saturday, May 19, 2007

Missing Genes

There are two, well, maybe three genes I didn't get at birth - the shopping gene, the craft gene and the shoe gene. I hate to shop, I don't want to or enjoy doing crafts or decorating or sewing, and I want comfortable shoes (and just for Wendy, I think my Keenes and Birkies are cute!) So what does that have to do with anything? Eric is gone on a 12 hour or 100K (whichever comes first) run today. Riley is off doing 4H things with his girlfriend. I have a free day. I forced myself to go shopping. I lasted about two hours - but! But, I was sort of successful. I bought some new capris for work (three pair), a skirt and two identical shirts - just different colors. I spent some time looking at shoes. I even drove to where there used to be a Birkenstock store, only to find them gone. I deserve a reward! Okay, okay... maybe the new clothes are the reward.

I was also looking for new running bras. I didn't get any - I was at a running outlet store and then one of the big sporting goods stores. I guess I'm going to have to go to one of the regular running stores. As far as I can tell, most of the jog bras out there are meant to be stylish, not practical. I was especially disappointed in the outlet - I've had good luck there before, buying a name brand, but this time they had flimsy straps, rough seams, seams where there shouldn't be seams and although some were moisture wicking, many weren't. I think that running gear companies should focus more on practicality and less on looks. Of course, my opinion is probably related to those missing genes above - we could probably add "missing the style gene" to the list.

I ran for five miles this morning. I planned ahead, got up early, took ibuprofen, put a warm compress on my leg and went for a two lap run around the neighborhood before I went to meet the others at the Y. It worked! I ran just fine and it barely hurts now. Last week at preschool I received a gift certificate to a local spa (it was teacher appreciation day). I went in yesterday for a deep tissue massage. I was bummed - I certainly got a nice massage, but not what I would consider deep tissue. I even told her she could press harder, but it didn't help much. I also asked her to focus on my calf, which she did not do. Turns out Jenny had the same girl last week with pretty much the same results. The good news is, some of our running friends have recommended another massage therapist, plus I liked the two massages I've had at the Y, so I've got a couple alternatives. I may try again next week so my calf is nice and loose for Coeur D'Alene.

This weekend is Party Central here in Puyallup. We had Amy's good-bye party last night, though she is not leaving for a couple weeks, and tonight is an annual party up at Barb's house, complete with dancing. Somehow, I suspect Eric won't be up for much dancing though...

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could have joined in some of the partying this weekend. I feel so out of the loop at times. Especially when people do not even ask about me at the parties. Doesn't the running world revolve around me? Have fun tonight!

Jenny, Maniac #401 said...

Michelle- I think Keenes and Birkenstocks are FABULOUS and that they pretty much go with everything. :)Even socks. Glad you had an okay shopping day. I like to shop on occasion, but I too, only last a couple of hours before I am bored out of my mind. I go in looking for something specific and then out. Rarely do I roam and meander throughout a store and look at everything and try things on I normally would not.
I had an uneventful day too, grocery shop with the kids then laundry and vaccuum. Not exciting.
Hope to see you tomorrow.
Jenny

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

You so deserve some party time...hope you are able to enjoy...also hope that Eric did well today.

JustRun said...

LOL- I have to force myself to like shopping and crafty things. I am good at them, I guess, but only when I'm "into it."

Glad you took it easy and are resting up- I'm sure you won't regret it.

Oh yeah, and I wear Moving Comfort bras. I don't know if you've tried them but I love 'em!

Anonymous said...

I also didn't get the shopping gene! I also went shopping today but you were much more successful!

E-Speed said...

the only thing I hate more than shopping is shoe shopping. I feel your pain!

Wes said...

I'm pretty much a get in, get out, get'er done type when it comes to shopping :-) It is NOT a social occasion for me! If I know Eric, I'm sure he saved you a little sumthin for dancing! Good luck!!

wendy said...

Poor Beau. I seemed to have inherited ALL y'all's shopping genes! =) I'm with you on functionality though, I won't waste money on cute that doesn't perform well.

Hope you had fun with the social weekend! I'm totally bummed I had to work all weekend!

Sarah said...

Sounds like you enjoyed your marathon-free weekend despite having to shop. ; ) : ) I don't have the craft gene either, and only a bit of the shopping gene. But I definitely have the shoe gene!

Darrell said...

How funny, my wife has been doing a pretty good job lately of developing all three of those genes.

Run Momma Run said...

I missed those genes too. The only shoe shopping I like is for running shoes! And even that I try to do online when possible! BTW, I am moving to Tacoma so I know I would love to join you and your crew on some of your runs through Pt D or on Ruston, etc. I won't be there until mid-July but I can't wait!

maniac hippo said...

So good to see you recovering well. And you need to have more faith in your fabulous husband: you didn't expect him to be able to be a party animal, yet he did.

It was so great to see you guys today. Any day that I see the two of you in person is automatically a great day for me, no matter what else happens.

Sarah Elaine said...

Well, I missed the craft gene, but I have the other two. In fact, one thing I have spent a lot of time researching and shopping for is sports bras. I will save you the details in this public forum, but I can tell you that I have found the Chamption 072 to be effective. (It's also one of the few that comes in my size.)
One place I've found helpful is www.sportsbras.ca. I know it probably would not make sense for you to order from a Canadian site, but you can check out the variety and levels of support offered by different styles and that may help you.
If you want to e-mail me directly, we can keep chatting. I believe it is definitely worth spending time to get one that's right - even if it means (gasp!) shopping.

runliarun said...

I got all those genes. And they're fun to have, but they come with their own frustrations.

Dori said...

Have you tried using a foam roller for your calf. Some people swear by them.

I like Moving Comfort, too. Also Champion--but not the one's they sell in Target. Unfortunately, a good sports bra is expensive.