Friday, March 23, 2007

Cool Bloggers

After reading a few of the comments on the last post, I had to check to see how long I'd been blogging. I started February 8, 2006, really because of Rob. He knew I was reading blogs and was calling me "Lady Lurker" in his posts, and sometimes in real life. After much persuasion, he convinced me that I could do this - I could write whatever I wanted, I didn't have to bare my soul, it could be short, it didn't have to be about running, and most of all, it would elevate me to cool blogger status, just like him. How could I resist?

So, no the last post wasn't prompted by a year of blogging, but by remembering that life can throw us some unexpected curve balls, by realizing how often I was thinking about Juls and her family, their grief, how quickly it arrived, how easily life can be turned upside down. I thought about this amazing online community, about the bloggers I've been lucky enough to meet, and those of you that I haven't, yet feel a connection to. I think about the stories we share, the advice, the laughter behind the keyboard. Sometimes I think of you while I'm running, remembering some of that wise advice, or some event that you've posted about. I mentioned somewhere, in someone's comments yesterday, that I once read that blogging is the "new ham radio" - where the connections are built, the voices are known, but the face-to-face has never happened. Or like our grandparents and their penpals. Some of the elder generation have had penpal friendships that have spanned 50 years or more! Technology and a love of running has brought us together, but the bonds we have built come from our hearts. Sometimes when we meet in real life, it feels a little awkward, we don't quite know what to say when we are actually looking at each other, sometimes we say more to each other through our writing. But with a little time, the ease comes, the reminder that we really know a lot about each other and even the way we each think. Yep, I'll wear my Cool Blogger label proudly, and so should each of you. Again, thanks for sharing my life and thanks for coming by to read.

But, what about running? I haven't written about running yet! Tuesday Rick and I ran 6.86 miles, average pace 11:52, average heart rate 141. We were going to hit the hill run, but then Rick came to his senses and remembered he's signed up for the final race in the Resolution Series - a 20 miler. Both Wednesday and Thursday I was on my own - Wednesday, 6.33, 11:47 average pace, average hr: 142. Thursday was a double day: 5.2 in the morning, 11:58 average pace, 144 average hr, at the track and through the park in the evening for 3.44, average pace 11:29, average hr, 138. I'm pretty pleased to see those averages drop below 12:00. Of course, I expect that they'll be higher in the marathon, and probably increase as I work my way through the six races. The Yakima Marathon is a week from Saturday, so my plan for this weekend is two easy runs, both in the five mile range.

MM#402, signing off from Puyallup, where the bloggers are cool, the husbands are goofy and the slugs are huge!

19 comments:

Darrell said...

On the money.

Unknown said...

Can't believe Yakima is right around the corner. I wish I could come.

Ryan said...

The life of a blogger it's so fun! Thanks for sharing & I look forward to many more great post also I should say thanks to Rob for getting all you folks in Washington blogging!

Keep on blogging & running

Btw nice job on the weekly mileage and have a nice weekend at the Slug races!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Wonderfully said and I couldn't agree more.

JustRun said...

Well said. I really do hope I get to meet you one day! I have some good friends driving from Edmonton to do Yakima so in the wierd running/blogging small world, I'll send some luck to you that way! :)

runliarun said...

Since I run, I got to know a runner or two in person, but most contact I have with runners is online, through blogging, and it's only them who understand what I am doing or what it means to me.

Jessica DeLine said...

Yes you are a cool blogger!

Anonymous said...

How true!

Good luck on the upcoming marathon. I am amazed by all the races you do! Keep it up, you stud blogger/runner. :)

Joe said...

I saw your comment about "ham radio" Michelle and was thinking about it on my run this morning. I'm a ham radio operator (KC9JD) and have been since I was 15. Don't do it anymore, but once a ham, always a ham.

Indeed, blogging is the new ham radio. You connect, then connect further, and use technology to do it. But, when done well, it's not about the technology but about the friendships!

I grieve for Juls, as do many...and that's also part of it. Life is like that.

Keep plugging...glad your physical heart is doing well...your emotional heart is in wonderful condition!!!

wendy said...

Wow, michelle, you're average pace is looking really good - I'm so excited for you! Your heart rate is really good too. All this maniac stuff must be good for your health. =)

E-Speed said...

yay for getting all those paces down! You are looking great!

Sarah said...

Your take on the blogging phenomenon is right on! And it allows an introvert like me to connect in ways that I might not otherwise. I may be too shy to strike up a conversation with someone at a race. But if I already "know" them through blogging it makes it so much easier.

Nice job with the running and enjoy your taper!

Janice said...

I too have been reading Juls blogs and thinking of her and her family. The blogging community is a wonderful one. I started blogging as an experiment. I wanted to learn how to do it so I could teach it to my students. I also felt the urge to write about my running, mostly because I compose my thoughts in my head while I'm running. Living in a small town with no one I know running, it's been great for me to connect with other runners. The advice and shared humour means a lot. It has kept me encouraged.

Chad said...

You are definitely an inspiration to us new bloggers! Keep it up.

Jack said...

It's been a nice year, I look forward to the next! I love your thoughts about the blogging community, well said.

Thomas said...

You've been blogging for over a year? Amazing how quickly time passes!

Olga said...

Wow, Yakima is here, no time for a break! Cool blogger Michelle you are:)

Anne said...

I remember when you started blogging and I lurked for a long time, finally coming forward with a comment after your surgery. You really nailed the blogging phenomenon and the ties we make in the virtual world that, if we're lucky, sometimes spill into the real one. I've been blessed to meet more than a dozen running bloggers now and every one has been wonderful. I'm hoping to add you to the list some day, too, Michelle.

Dori said...

Great post. Julie's situation was difficult for me and I think I stayed away from blogging for a little while because of it. Talking about how far I ran seemed trite next to that. But I enjoy the community we have here. I'm looking forward to meeting you in San Francisco; I feel like I already know you!