Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Another Easy Week

This Saturday is the Orcas Island Fat Ass. It's a 50K or a 25K. I assume that those of us doing the 25K are running the Half Ass? Would that be correct terminology? I originally added the Capital Peak run, Pigtails and Orcas as kind of holding points - not really races, not intending to do the full distance, just as something to hold my fitness level over the winter. Oh, and because Eric was going to run, and you know me, I'm not hanging around the house while he's off at a race! The funny thing is, they've turned into complete events of their own for me. They have equal value and weight to a marathon in my mind. I started out feeling intimidated by the whole trail running concept - in the woods, in the mud and in the snow. Capital Peak knocked that out of me. Then I was intimidated by the 50K distance at Pigtails. I did it, but I'm still not really relaxed about that distance. I'm excited and ready for Orcas. The 4000 foot elevation gain has me wondering - but not in a fearful way, more in a challenging way. I guess I feel the same about the Mt. Si 50K - challenged, but ready to take it on. I have a whole new confidence level.

I ran yesterday morning with the Run Club. It was another kind of first for me - I got up and taught Pilates at 6:00 am (with a focus on leg work), then hung out in the Y lobby till 8:00 when the rest of the group arrived. Jenny, Jamal and I ran - I'm guessing about five miles. I didn't give the Garmin time to catch a signal, so didn't get a distance. We were out for an hour, with a couple of good sized hills in the mix. We followed that up with coffee at Starbucks. We didn't get the whole gang out for the run or the coffee, because not everyone got the holiday off. Eric had to work, but squeezed out an hour to have coffee with us. That was the first time I ever followed Pilates with a run, and it felt just fine.

Having learned my lesson in the last two big runs, I'm going easy this week. I rested today (I had to be at work at 7:00 am) and I figure five or six miles for each of the next two days. I'm skipping the track Thursday night, and doing Pilates on Friday (minimal leg work this time). I'm going to try really hard to get at least seven hours of sleep every night. I want to go into this run rested!

16 comments:

Wes said...

Half ass... Hee hee. That's funny. Have a nice easy week and get lotsa rest. I'm not sure why they would call a race fat ass, but then again, I just don't need to know...

Jenny, Maniac #401 said...

Easy? For you? Now that's a first! :) I know you'll have a great time this weekend! I can't wait to hear all about it.
Jenny

Unknown said...

I'll have to check the ultra-runners manual to see if Half Ass is the correct terminology. Good idea to take it easy this week. You're a thinker!

Darrell said...

Going into this thing rested sounds like perfectly sound race logic. I checked out the website and it looks to be a beautiful run.

I wonder if the race director is from OH or has family from there. My best friend in grade school moved out to WA 36 years ago.

JustRun said...

Half Ass... hehe! Once, I had a pace group and we were trying to come up with a name. We ended up with "Hoof Hearted." We are so funny, aren't we? Your half ass reminded me of that for whatever reason.

Glad you're taking it easy and going in rested!

Olga said...

And why wouldn't you treat them as a marathon? They are runs in their own right, and don't you forget when you treated nicely 5k's and 10k's!
:)

Ryan said...

Once you try trail running there's no going back! It's great to hear you’re enjoying the miles of trials...even with the mud and snow! I'm excited for your run this weekend, I wish we had a race like this around here. Hey have fun and happy feet!

Unknown said...

Hey!

Darcy sent me here. She found my blog online and has been reading it. Apparently we are both doing Orcas this weekend! It will be my first trail race (color me freaked out). My goal: not die.

I'm assuming I can meet that goal. I'm Tory and am from Marysville (norther or ya'll). I'm a teacher, new trail runner, "teen" runner (been running for 3-4 years, marathoner, triathlete, and former fat chick.

Hope to see you on the route! I'm definitely expecting to be a BOPer on this baby...esp with a 4000 foot gain. *gulp* (What have I gotten myself IN to?)

My blog: www.xanga.com/msteechur and website www.msteechur.com

Joe said...

Always learning, Michelle...hope the rest week leads to a fun race!

Sarah said...

I think you've caught the trail running bug! : )

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous - I wish we had trails in Chicago to run on.
BTW - I didn't know you were a pilates teacher. That is so awesome! I always think about going through a teacher program - someday.
Good luck with the race.

Journey to a Centum said...

I'm sure Orcas will have it's ups and downs :-) Should be fun! Can't wait!

Eric

Donald said...

The name of that race is interesting enough to make me want to do it, just to see who is there. Does J.Lo run it? (Ask Rob)

Ironayla said...

I can't wait to hear about how things go! I will try to catch up with you on Sunday :)

runliarun said...

Half Ass? What a funny way to think about it! Run well, stay hydrated, take it easy, have fun.

Anonymous said...

can't wait to hear how the half-ass goes! :)