Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Apple Pies and Rain

I should be in the kitchen peeling apples for the three pies I'm taking to Thanksgiving. This is our big event of the year - usually right around 50 people, though this year niether of my brothers will make it, so we could be down to 42. But then we can add in Heather and get to 43. And that's how it goes and how we usually end up at 50! I feel like the whole day is stretching ahead of me, so I'm blogging. Apple pies, laundry, work projects (I'm working from home, when I'm not blogging), course work, dog walking. It's a long list, but easily achievable. I've talked to my aunt, my Mom and Web this morning. It feels like a very relaxed holiday and I am loving it!

That was the apple pie part. The rain part is that it's still raining. The record for the rainiest November has been reset this year. One thing I love about the internet, I can find weather forecasts to support both a dry day and a rainy day for Sunday. I guess I get to pick! Eric and I decided to be ready for the worst case scenario, so we gave ourselves an early Christmas present and bought goretex jackets. They got here yesterday and I tried mine out on my run with Rob this morning. Of course, it didn't rain. But it was cold and I was comfortable. I think I could get too warm - so this is a under 45 degree kind of jacket for me. Regardless, I feel a little more confident about my six hours out in the weather this weekend.

Rob and I had a nice run - with a remarkable occurance. We saw a tree fall! Like Rob said, it probably wouldn't have been so cool if it had been falling toward us - it fell parallel to the road, crashing down through the forest. And there wasn't any wind - though we've had a lot lately and that probably weakened it. I think it was a cottonwood. The college where I work has only had one access point up until now. The new road is done but not opened yet and it winds through forest for almost a mile - that is where we were running when the tree dropped. I've also read that trees will be weakened when the structure of the forest around them changes - it allows new wind currents because the protection of the surrounding trees may be gone. What ever caused it to fall, it was amazing to see. I didn't mention that it was daylight - since he didn't have school and I wasn't going into work, we started at 7:30 instead of 5:15. Extra sleep and daylight - everything a runner could want!

I ran 4 on Tuesday, about 4.7 today, will run 4 to 5 tomorrow (the running group is meeting for a morning run), then will kick back on Friday and Saturday. Since it's a holiday, there are no classes at the Y, so no Pilates either. We will have to get into Seattle on Friday or Saturday for the Expo - which should be fun. I'll be well rested and ready to go Sunday. Thank you to all of you for your confidence in me and the support in your comments. I really appreciate it, and it will keep me moving on Sunday!

22 comments:

Ironayla said...

I thought I had a big family get together with 35 :) And apple pies!! Yum!!

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Mmem said...

A tree falling with no visible provocation sounds pretty cool!

GL Gl GL GL GL in Seattle! Kick the bejeebers out of that marathon!

Anonymous said...

YUM. What time is the apple pie ready because that is my favorite and I will be there!

GOOD LUCK to you in Seattle! I won't be around for a few days so I wanted to wish it to you now. Can't wait to hear/read about it! :)

Unknown said...

Lets see, I need a list.

1) Can you pick up my packet for me?
2) Don't forget to give Eric a hard time about not e-mailing responses, good or bad to me.
3) The Caramle Apple Pie is only $7.99 at Costco. I think it's worth it, it's big and you don't have to make it.
4) Bloglines still is not updating you, or Thomas, or 2 others that I have discovered so far.

Anonymous said...

oh wow, how scary! trees falling is one of my all-time fears while in the woods.

good luck on Sunday!

Legs and Wings said...

All the best in Seattle this weekend! Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I'm echoing Rob-
1. possibly could you pick up my packet too? Depends on when you plan to go. Maybe I could go with you.
2. Yes, I still want to run with you. Who cares about what time is reported on the announcements!
3. See ya in the morning.
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the pies!
Being a vegetarian what else do you eat? Tofurky (spelling?)

I'm glad the tree didn't hit you.

Hope the weather holds out for you.

Happy turkey day.

Jack said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Fifty people, that's amazing.

Anonymous said...

Before the Dublin marathon I checked out 4 or 5 weather forecasts, and all of them were different. In the end, one of them (the one predicting perfect running weather) was actually right.

I didn't see a falling tree today, but I saw two trees with half-broken branches, both blocking part of the road. It was so windy tonight that I was worried about running, because being hit by a falling tree (or even a falling branch) is something I'd rather avoid.

And it's raining here too. You're not alone.

tryathlete said...

Happy Thanksgiving! It sounds like it'll be a lovely time at your house!

Joe said...

I'm surprised you and Eric don't have gore tex jackets already, what with living in the NW and all...so merry Christmas early!

Have a great Thanksgiving, Michelle, with that big family gathering. The pies smell good, all the way to Indiana!

And go, go, go on Sunday!!

boatgirl said...

Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your family. Happy thoughts are with you for Sunday!! Go, Go, Go!

Jessica DeLine said...

Good luck in Seattle and Happy Thanksgiving!!

D said...

I just can't believe that you are already doing another marathon. Wow. You guys are all so hard core. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Sarah said...

A falling tree? Yikes! Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and good luck on Sunday! : )

Sarah Elaine said...

Mmm... apple pie. Sounds divine!

Happy American Thanksgiving to you and yours. Stay away from falling trees, eh?

Anonymous said...

enjoyed reading your blog today.. take care

Anne said...

Where do you find a kitchen with appliances big enough to feed that many people at once?!

Around here, if it rains for a few days, big trees start falling all over the freeways. I imagine that must have been quite a site...and I'm sure you were glad to have Rob with you as a witness.

*jeanne* said...

Have a WONDERFUL RUN!! :-)

Anonymous said...

thanks for visiting my blog today - have a great rest of the weekend! :)

Aleks said...

11 pm... the night before the race. I hope you're already getting some sleep! Good luck tomorrow, I'm looking forward to reading about your marathon!