Friday, September 08, 2006

Working the kinks out...

Okay, this working full time thing is kinda hard. It's not the work that is hard, it's trying to fit all the things I'm used to doing into my new schedule. You'll be glad to know that it is things like grocery shopping and housework (and, I'm afraid, blogging) that have suffered - running is clicking along just fine. In fact, I guess at this very minute I could be doing housework rather than blogging...

It's been a busy two weeks with the start up of the preschool year and getting oriented in the new job. I had another night meeting last night, an all day open house today, then two more night meetings next week, as well as another preschool meeting during the day, and then I think things will finally start to settle down and fall into a regular schedule. As for the new job - I absolutely, totally love it! You could say that I've had a trial by fire, having already handled a couple of big issues. On the positive side, having to deal with challenging events in the first two weeks has shown me that I know what and how to do it and better yet, that I can do it.

I'm going to make this a quick post - cross country season officially starts today with time trials for team placement. I'm going to be heading out to the high school in a few minutes to cheer for Riley and all his running buddies.

Here's what I've done this week:
Monday - rest (no Pilates class since it was Labor Day)
Tuesday - 5 miles, 1:00:56, avg hr: 133, high hr: 157 (a little creaky and sore after the 20 miler)
Wednesday - 6 mile hill run, 1:16:51, avg hr: 134 (not quite so creaky and sore, but tired)
Thursday - 6 miles, 1:15:40, avg hr: 132 (felt much better, no soreness)
Friday - rest/Pilates

It is officially dark and much cooler in the mornings now. On the Wednesday run, Sonya had to put her headlamp on for us to see on some of the side roads. Colder morning temps are making my heartrate monitor act up again. I'm sure it's the cold - first, after about 10 minutes, when I'm warmed up, it's fine, second, if I hold my hands over it, it settles down. Pretty strange, huh?

On tap for the weekend:
Saturday: 16 miles
Sunday: Bank to Bay 10K

Thanks for stopping by!


robtherunner said...

Busy, busy, busy is right. Have a good 16 miler and Saturday and don't worry about Bank to Bay. Remember that the 16 miler is much more important. Have a great weekend and hopefully I will see you next week.

Wes said...

I have no doubt that you'll be able to handle all the challenges of your new job. Just seems natural to me. Have fun on your 10K!!

TryAthlete said...

I agree - work isn't the hard part; scheduling is!

Headlamps in the morning? Gosh.

Good luck with the continual training for Portland and for this Sunday's 10K.

Annette said...

Good luck with your 10K this weekend - although the 16 miler sounds like the big challenge - so good luck on both!

I'm glad your new job is going well. Won't it be nice when you feel a little more settled and everything else starts falling into place?

Liv said...

Yay! So glad you're liking the new job. And your running certainly hasn't suffered - you've been racking up those miles like nobody's business. Way to go!

olga said...

Boys can always throw left-overs in mictowave...hmm, wouldn't fly with mine.
Good luck with full weekend! You are moving so fast to a marathon!

susie said...

Your beginning of the year sounds like mine:) By the way, I love Olga's "just keep moving" comment, too!

Anne said...

I noticed the same thing with my heart rate monitor when the temps start to dip. So maybe it's not my ineptness afterall.

Dori said...

Good luck with your race Sunday!

Running by.... said...

A new job will take some time for you to adjust. Just think of all the stuff you are doing on top of that. Have fun on your 10k and cheering Riley and friends on.