Thursday, August 10, 2006

Last Post before the Race Report

Thanks to all of you for your supportive comments on my last post. This blogging community is great - as are all my running friends. Runners are the best!

I'm getting excited about crewing for Rob and especially about the chance to hang out with Olga again. It going to be a great race from the crewing perspective. The only downside is that I'll have to wash and clean out the car afterwards. I hate that, but I can't expect Eric to do it when I'm the one that's caused the mess. Dang. But, hey, that's what car washes are for, right? And it's an Element, so it's easy to clean out the inside. Okay, I've convinced myself it won't be too bad.

I can't believe it is August and we are running in the dark again. Of course, right now it is getting lighter as we go, but I'm having to start out with my flashing lights on. It's dark for Eric's entire run. It's still warm and we only have one reflective vest that we share - that's because in fall and winter it's cold enough that we both wear our neon yellow running vests. We use the reflective vest briefly in the spring and late summer when it's too warm for the others. It's one of those lightweight net thingies - Eric has been going out the door with it on in the mornings. Plus he's wearing his headlamp again. I really hate that net vest - I'm going to get one of these. It looks like you can fit them better than the vests. That'd be good because the vest always slides off one shoulder and is too loose.

I'll let you in on a little secret. We have recently received two AARP ads in the mail - because someone in this house is sneaking up on 50 years old come Monday. That's right, I'm married to an older man! New age group coming up - this weekend will be Eric's last race in the current one. I'd tell you what I got him for his birthday, but he is off work for a few days and might read this before he gets it, so you'll have to wait to find out.

Eric ended up working late last night to wrap a few things up before his time off, so he missed the last train home. I drove into Seattle to pick him up after I got done with my class. My reward was a stop at Red Robin on the way home for my favorite food - french fries! It doesn't get much better than Red Robin french fries with ranch dressing. I try to be good, really I do. This is a limited treat - once a month if I'm lucky. My family laughs at me if we go there for dinner because I get a dinner salad and fries. For some reason they don't consider that a "real" dinner. I do, I mean come on - I have salad! That's healthy! The fries are a bonus. French fries have always been one of my weaknesses (that and chocolate). In the last few years I've become more particular about wasting my calories, so now I only order fries if they are the kind I really like. I like the fat ones or the crinkle cut ones, or the steak fries like Red Robin. None of those skinny ones or the ones made from ground up potatoes put back together in fry shape. No way - I'm a purist, I want chunks of real deep fried potatoes.

This has been a relaxed running week. Jenny, Sonya and I had a nice and easy one on the six mile hill run yesterday, and today Barb and I had an easy four mile run through our two local parks. I'm going to walk at the track tonight, then I'm taking tomorrow and Saturday off from running (though I've still got Pilates), and then the half is on Sunday. My total for the week will be 29.1 miles. Monday will be off, then it's time to focus on the marathon. I've got three 40 to 42 mile weeks coming up with long runs of 16, 18 and 20. Sonya and I have already planned all our routes and are rarin' to go!

20 comments:

E-Speed said...

sounds like you have a fun weekend planned!

Happy birthday to your hubby!

Sarah said...

I'm sad about the increasing darkness too. : ( Its been cloudy here in the mornings so it seems especially sudden.

I've used a Xinglet for 2 winters and love it. Its very easy to adjust and fits easily over a lot of layers. I'll never go back to using a regular relective vest.

Vickie said...

Interesting thoughts in your blog.

Unknown said...

Have fun in Bend this weekend. I wish I could be there with all of you. Not sure what I am doing this weekend.

Olga said...

Too bad I can't join you either. Loved the course!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun adventure ahead of you. hope all goes well.

Ironayla said...

Have a great time this weekend!!! I will be thinking about you during my run on Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Have a great race Michelle. Looking forward to the report.

Jack said...

Have fun this weekend, I look forward to reading all about it!

tryathlete said...

Have fun crewing and best wishes to Eric!

JustRun said...

Have fun this weekend and good luck!

Legs and Wings said...

Best wishes from the Atlantic time zone...have fun with the 1/2! Treat yourself to some chocolate covered steak fries after the race!

*jeanne* said...

Oh, yeah! You're gearing up for a marathon Oct 1!!

I'll be Wineglass-ing in upstate New York on that same day!

You sound like your training schedule is doing just what mine is. YAK-GACK-ugh! That hot summer long running in time for a fall 'thon. Time to pay the piper...

I like the Xinglet!

matt said...

hey, michelle...i am very excited for your 1/2...it is going to be a great experience for you. we are behind you all of the way :)

happy birthday to eric!

onepinkfuzzy said...

happy birthday to eric!

Have fun at haulin aspen!!!!

french fries and ranch dressing...mmmm...... red robin is where Johnny and I ate dinner on the night, eleven years ago this week, he proposed to me.

and french fries with a salad totally constitutes dinner!

Ryan said...

Really enjoyed your post. No lectures here. I loved your spirit to make decisions for yourself and do what you enjoy. Keep running!

Sarah Elaine said...

Wonderful post! I enjoyed the energy of this one, for sure.

Taunya said...

Good luck at Haulin Aspen! Can't wait to hear how to did!

I LOVE french fries too. Your description of them wanted me to go out right now and get some--and it's 7:30 in the morning!!

Rose said...

I'm a May-December marriage, too, so I was an AARP member (spouse) looong before I was officially old enough. Then, they lowered the eligibility age a whole lot, so now I am of the official age. ;-)

I'm with you on junk food - only the really really *good* bad stuff. And btw, chocolate is a health food.

D said...

Out with the black balloons and over the hill gag gifts...kidding!