Friday, July 28, 2006

Long Week

This has been a long week. I've been back to my old napping habits - two or three a day. It must be a combo of two hours of sleep last Friday night, plus probably a giant drain on my energy reserves from the whole leg one episode. I'm starting to feel like I'm on the upswing today. One of the side effects of having my heart problem is that after it occurs, I deal with elevated heart rates and a tight chest for a while. I've been feeling the chest thing all week, even when I'm just hanging out at home, but this time my heartrates have been pretty good. Here's a summary of my week to date:

Monday: rest
Tuesday: 7.7 miles, average hr: 139, peak: 158, time: 1:30:35
Wednesday: 6 mile hill run, average hr: 135, peak: 162, time: 1:14:14 (uh-oh, can you tell Rob didn't come along?)
Thursday: morning run: 7.5 miles, average hr: 139, didn't get a peak, time: 1:30:02
Thursday: evening run: 3 miles, average hr: 141, peak: 152, time: 39:03
Friday: first, taught one hour Pilates, then: 5.2 miles, average hr: 142, peak:154, time: 58:42
Planned for Saturday: rest
Planned for Sunday: 14 miles

I ran today instead of tomorrow, because we are getting up way too early to get up to the White River 50. We'll pick Rob up on the way, then Darcy. Darcy and I are going to crew for the guys and just generally hang out all day. Truthfully, they probably don't need crew, we are just a bonus for them. Gives them the clean sock, change a shirt, get my own special drinks, chuck gear opportunities. I should get a chance to meet TC as well. It's going to be fun!

Sonya has the day off today, so we are going to go out for lunch, then hit one of the running stores to check out fueling/hydrating options. I got a little sick on my gatorade during the crash last week (probably plain water would have made me sick too), which generated much discussion about drinking and fueling during the half. I've tried an ecap this week - doesn't work with my overly sensitive stomach. I also tried Succeed, which worked okay, but had a high "yuk" factor in my opinion. I've also tried my personal favorite: Zippfizz. It's okay, but carbonated which I'm not real fond of when running. Plus, I'm getting tired of gu. So anyway, we're going to check it all out. I'll continue to experiment and let you know what combo works.

Finally, Riley gets home from XC camp today. I'm anxious to hear how it went - temps over there were between 100-105. He went to the same XC camp two years in a row, but this year he and two buddies decided to try a new one on the Eastern side of the state. I hope he liked it as well as his old one.

I'll try to get a WR50 crew report and a 14 miler report up on Sunday. Till then, have a great weekend!

11 comments:

Wes said...

Wow! You sure put up the mileage! I'm glad that your heart prob is returning back to something reasonable. I found your heart rate stats especially interesting as I just got mine and I am working on adding it into my rythm.

Top that off with 14 miles on Sunday, incredible!!

Donald said...

Sorry, I found it hard to concentrate on this post after reading the "two or three naps per day" line. I'm totally envious, and now I'm daydreaming about napping.

onepinkfuzzy said...

have fun this weekend, and take it easy!

Anne said...

Yes, I hope you have a good time crewing this weekend. The course sounds great. Meantime, please let those of us who also can't seem to stomach e-caps or Succeed tablets if you find something that does work. It's one reason I hadn't upped into the ultra zone yet -- I can't seem to keep those salt tablets, which are crucial, down.

Rose said...

You know, all we can do is do our best with the body God gave us. You are a real inspiration for taking our imperfections and pushing on. Sounds like the weekend will be a welcome diversion.

Unknown said...

You probably needed an easier day on Wednesday anyways. Hopefully I will be able to join you next Wednesday. I'll probably be recovering all week so a nice easy run will be good for me, not that the hill run is easy.

Anonymous said...

I love to nap! Keep up with the rest and taking care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Someone told me years ago that an hour of sleep during the day is worth two at night. I use that line whenever someone questions me about getting a nap in during the day.

Sorry the chest tightness is hanging around. I bet the guys deeply appreciate the crewing you will do. Hope the 14 miler goes well.

JustRun said...

Take care of yourself! Good luck in your runs.

E-Speed said...

i bought carbo pro and have been mixing it with my gatorarde. It worked great on the bike, and it went over well yesterday on the Buckeye trail for running.

Hope you find something your stomach and tastebuds can handle!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Wow, I've missed so much not having dropped by lately. I'm sorry to hear about your heart. However, I am truly impressed by the mileage and running that you do.

As for the naps, aren't they wonderful? *grin*