Sunday, April 09, 2006

Recovery and Walking

Let's was Monday. I walked a little bit around the neighborhood on Tuesday and Wednesday, then Thursday went to the track with the Y Run Club. I walked from the car to the track, did one lap (took about 8 minutes) then sat on a bench and rested for about 20 minutes. Then 3/4 of a lap walking with Rob, and back to the car till everyone else was done. I was having a lot of trouble getting a deep breath and had been for a day and a half, so Sonya (she's a nurse) told me to get back on the painkillers. I didn't feel like I needed them, but I guess they are needed to relax the abdomen to breathe well. I know she was right because I went home and took them, and it worked.

Friday I walked around the neighborhood again. Yesterday I went to the Y to sell T-shirts and race registrations while the rest of the group ran. After that we relaxed at Starbucks. The funny thing was, the longer we sat the more uncomfortable I got. I think it was sitting at the T-shirt table, then again at Starbucks. Anyway, I came home, got a short nap, then went off with another friend to sit at a booth for the college at a community services type fair. The walk to and from the parking lot to the pavilion took care of yesterday's exercise.

Today I decided to get off the painkillers and try Tylenol. I took a couple this morning, then went with the Run Club to Ruston Way. I planned to walk about 10 minutes out and back. I felt really good though, so I kept extending my walk out a little farther and a little farther. All in all I think I walked about two miles. By the end of our time at Starbucks I was fading, and I've been tired and a little sore all day. I guess I overdid it, though I felt good at the time.

I've got another week of recovery ahead. I'm supposed to teach Pilates in the morning - using one of the students as a model instead of doing it myself. Then I'm supposed to demo Pilates for a local high school health class, again, using a friend as a model. I've got one meeting for work, and one meeting for the Y and that is all that is planned for my week. Oh, and of course, going to Riley's next track meet. I am planning to continue bumping up the walking schedule this week - maybe even getting back to my normal, two mile, hilly walk with the dog. I see the doctor again a week from Tuesday, and I hope to start running the day after that.

I did come to my senses and pull out of the Mt. Si Relay. Darn! I really, really wanted to do it. On the other hand, I want recovery to go smoothly so I can race all summer. If I don't start running till the Wednesday following the doctor appointment, I'd only have two days of running in before the relay. I don't think that'd be wise. Eric and another friend are running the 50K at Mt. Si, Rob is running the 50 mile, and of course, my team is running. There won't be room in the car with the team, so I think I'll be providing race support to the others.

The good news is that other than the recovery from the surgery, I am already feeling better. In fact, I had a 24 hour eating spree from Friday night to last night. I ate all but one piece of a small veggie pizza, half a Starbucks pumpkin scone, two chai teas, veggie bacon and eggs, a Fair scone, Red Robin fries and a green salad, and popcorn. Oh, and quite a few Dove dark chocolates. I enjoyed my one day splurge, but reined it back in today. I don't want to come out of this heavier than I went in - and my weight is going to be hard enough to control without running! Except for the chai tea, bacon and eggs, everything else I mentioned had been making me sick. Especially pizza - for the last three years I would feel slightly sick after one piece - so yesterday was one big experiment. Anyway, I can already tell that the surgery was worth it.


olga said...

That's great, Michelle! No hilly walk yet, though, and be careful with pilates. And yay for eating spree!

Dawn - Pink Chick said...

lol I've been on an eating spree since my surgery as well. Back to reality on Monday. *sigh*

Good luck with your recovery.

robtherunner said...

I can use some race support. Maybe you can pick me up at about mile 32 and drop me off at 41, or better yet at 48.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

Yay on the food!!!!!

Good job taking care of yourself. Here's hoping the rest of your recovery continues as well!

Tammy said...

Hi there , just getting caught up on your happenings. Glad the surgery went well, and sounds like you are rearing to go... try to pace yourself. You'll be back in the run of things soon enough :)

PuddyRat said...

Easy does it, Michelle, easy does it! Can't you just see me shaking my finger and admonishing you?

Sonya was right. The pain meds are used for a reason. Make use of them. They help you heal.

In the mean time, GO EASY! Sheesh. I been there, done that already!

All that said, I'm delighted you are able to eat again. What a boon that is! Eating (at least the right things) will also aid your recovery. Also, being properly fueled will make you a better runner! What more could you ask?

Sorry to miss you all this last week. As you might imagine, I've been very busy doing my own training.

Take care and hope to see you soon!