Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Well, um...Here I am. A blogging newbie.

I can't believe I'm doing this. I've been hanging out with Rob, Ironayla and Puddyrat too long. And then my middle-of-the-night buddy, Olga, starts one. It's been a slow process, but I've decided to give blogging a try. I found that I had lots to say in response to the blogs I was reading, and was sending out long emails to throw in my two cents. So finally I decided why not?

What to name the blog? I went with my old standby, back-of-pack. That's where I live my running life. Slow, steady, determined. I always get there in the end, just not as fast as everyone else. But you know what? I sure enjoy myself along the way. I talk to other runners, I look at the scenery (but still somehow manage to miss mile markers, chalk marks and landmarks!). I wave at all my running buddies as they head back after the turn around. I wait for my sweet husband to jog back to me in the last mile so we can complete my race together (this is after he's cranked it out and usually placed in his age group). And best of all, since I'm usually one of the last of our group to wander in, I have the biggest, loudest, cowbell ringing crowd waiting at the finish line to cheer me in!

I'm a five-day-a-week runner, resting on Mondays and Fridays. On those days, I teach an early morning Pilates class at the Y. I try to run twice on Thursdays, joining some of the Y Run Club members at the track. But don't be fooled-I don't do speedwork. I just crank out another run (wondering all the while how Rob can love to run laps.) If I'm lucky, there'll be someone to run along with me and chat the hour away. I plan to add a couple more two-a-days soon - getting ready for two spring and one summer relay. I was planning to start that up this month...but things happen and it looks like I'll be delayed for a few weeks. (That's another post).

I'm also an early morning runner - generally out the door between 5:15 and 5:30 am. Not on Saturdays or Sundays - those runs are group runs with the Y Run Club. I love my early morning runs! It's quiet, there's not much traffic, and I can think. Right now it's dark, but that doesn't bother me either. I have a number of well-lit routes to follow. I will admit that spring and summer are best - the sun's just coming up, there's even less traffic because school is out, it's usually just the right temperature (and dry), and I can run anywhere I want, regardless of lighting. I know a lot of people find it hard to get out of bed and go, but I find it hard to push myself out the door in the afternoon or evening. I'm definitely a morning person.

That's probably enough for the first post. I'd better quit now so I have something left to post about later!

6 comments:

Ironayla said...

YooHooo! I will add you to my list immediately!!

Glad to see you joined the blogger world with the rest of us!

PuddyRat said...

Yay! Glad to see you joining us. How come you never sent me a long e-mail giving me your two cents? Now I feel cheated.

:-D

Unknown said...

I have not read your post yet so I do not really know what you said, but I will read it. Welcome to the blogging world. That sounds kind of weird.

Olga said...

Wow, here you are!!! Now we all can follow what are you up to, and ask for your advice:) You do write great advice, wihtout pushing it. thanks!

Nancy Toby said...

Welcome to blogland! That sounds like a pretty dedicated hardcore running schedule to this BOPer!

Amber said...

Welcome to the world of blogging. I love your blog name as I'm a back of the pack runner myself ... well I would be I mean if I ever ran with a pack. Hmm, guess I'm still just a lone-runner, but maybe someday eh?!?